Monday, August 17, 2015

Book Review: Screwdrivered (Cocktail, #3) by Alice Clayton


From Goodreads

Readers back for a third round of the bestselling Cocktail series will enjoy a madcap romantic comedy about bodice ripping and chest heaving, fiery passion and love everlasting. Plus a dash of paperwork filing and horseshi—wait, what?

By day, Viv Franklin designs software programs. By night, Vivian’s a secret romance-novel junkie who longs for a knight in shining armor, or a cowboy on a wild stallion, or a strapping firefighter to sweep her off her feet. And she gets to wear the bodice—don’t forget the bodice.

When a phone call brings news that she’s inherited a beautiful old home in Mendocino, California from a long-forgotten aunt, she moves her entire life across the country to embark on what she sees as a great, romance-novel-worthy adventure. But romance novels always have a twist, don’t they?

There’s a cowboy, one that ignites her loins. Because Cowboy Hank is totally loin-ignition worthy. But there’s also a librarian, Clark Barrow. And he calls her Vivian. Can tweed jackets and elbow patches compete with chaps and spurs? You bet your sweet cow pie.

In Screwdrivered, Alice Clayton pits Superman against Clark in a hilarious and hot battle that delights a swooning Viv/Vivian. 

Also within this book, an answer to the question of the ages: Why ride a cowboy when you can ride a librarian?



My Review

4 "Cure For The Angst!" Stars



Twentysomething Viv Franklin is shameless devourer of all things romance books: the glistening pecs, the passionate sex, and declarations of true love. Owning her own software design business in Philadelphia is a fulfilling career, but it does nothing for her desire of that book worthy piece of man-meat. 

When her reclusive aunt dies and leaves her a gorgeous -albeit dilapidated - ocean front house and land, Viv feels this is adventure is something straight out one of her raunchy novels. She packs her bags and jets off, certain she's in for the romance ride of a lifetime.

The second she lays eyes on the deliciously sexy cowboy, Hank, caring for her aunt's land, she's all hot and bothered. With his lickable abs and sonnet-worthy arms, Viv is swooning over strong, silent heartthrob.
But then there's Clark, librarian and the town's historian intent on over seeing the renovations of the house. He infuriates Viv like no other, but the more time they spend together, the more it seems like opposites attract. 




I'm a huge fan of Alice Clayton's sexy and hilarious contemporary romances, and Screwdrivered did not disappoint! This book had me laughing out loud in every chapter, and doing this weird gasp/snort at some of the insanely blunt and filterless things Viv would say or think. I've been reading way, way too much New Adult, and I've OD'ed on angst. This novel was a breath of fresh air to my book soul!

While this is the third book in the Cockatiel series, it's not at all necessary to read the first two before this one. 



"He's the librarian."
"They don't make librarians like that where I come from."


Viv was such an enjoyable heroine! Her witty and hopeless romantic voice was wildly entertaining, and I loved being in her head. She was so smart, funny, and unique. She'd go off on these harlequin romance-wrothy tangents about what was going on, and I was cracking up. Alice Clayton kept light heartedly poking fun at the typical romance novel, and it was hysterical. Just look at this!




I'll clear something up right now: this is not a love triangle. Not even close. It may be a lust triangle, but that's all. I was surprised at how much I loved it! It created the perfect mix of sexual tension and faint possessiveness from both men, without making me want to scream and throw the book against the wall, as is the case with 98% of love (not lust) triangles. 



The pacing was delightful! Quick enough to keep things moving along at a nice clip, but not so fast that I was annoyed with how fast the romance went. There's some fabulous side characters (and we get to see the return of Simon and Caroline from the first two books! <3 Love them), humor in spades, and the perfect amount of romance.



It doesn't always have to be so hard. Sometimes falling in love just means turning around and seeing what's right in front of you.



I really enjoyed the connection and banter between Clark and Viv. An unlikely couple that quickly grew on me, their chemistry and easy romance was so fun to watch unfold.


My only qualm with this story was I never really cared for either man, aside from Clark's flirting and Hank's...well, perfect body. I liked Clark and Viv together, but I'm one of those compulsive book boyfriend collectors, and he just wasn't up to par for me.


It's a super quick and light read, one I breezed through in less than a day and loved every second of.



Overall, this is a sexy and hilarious low angst romp that is a perfect pick-me-up book or one to break you out of a reading slump. I highly recommend it to any contemporary lovers, or just for anyone who enjoys a good laugh!



STATS:

Rating: 4 stars
Genre: Contemporary romance, humor
POV: 1st person, single perspective
Steam/sexual content: Deliciously steamy with some fun but mild smut
Warnings: You'll laugh your ass off
Series: Cocktail, #3
Cliffhanger: No
HEA: Yes!
Length: 256 pages
My own copy




- The Bibliophile Babe





11 comments:

  1. A romance heroine who loves smutty romance books? YES PLEASE! I adore Viv already! And I'm glad you said this isn't a love triangle, I abhor those, but I think I can deal with a lust triangle because that's more believable to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *happy sigh* I'll be reading/listening to this one soon. I'm working my way through the second audiobook right now. Love this author!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad this one was good too! I love this series. How is this couple related to Caroline and Simon though? Were they in the other books? Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of the heroine. I am so going to pick up this author's books one day. I have her on my must read list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the sound of this book! This series has been on my TBR, and you have me dying to start it. It really does sound like a perfect cure for angst overdose! Awesome quotes, too! Wonderful review!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good book! I enjoyed your review thank you for sharing such a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Alice Clayton. I'm just getting ready to start this one.

    Angela @Simply Angela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh your review has me itching to pick this series back up. I actually loved book one and own two..I need to squeeze them in..awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a very funny romance! Love the quotes you shared too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uhm. Is there a love triangle in here? No bueno. No bueno.

    ReplyDelete