Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Bibliophile Babe Reviews Never Never, Part 1 - Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher

Hey, everyone! Good to have y'all here this morning. :) Today I'm reviewing Never Never: Part 1 by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher. I was not paid, perked or given a book in exchange for a review; I'm reviewing my own copy and all opinions are my own.

Colleen Hoover is one of my favorite authors. She's written ConfessUgly LoveSlammed, and Maybe Someday. She has a uniquely absorbing writing style, and writes some of the best male protagonists. So many of her male characters are on my book boyfriend list.
I haven't yet read anything by Tarryn Fisher, but she is on my To Be Read shelf! She's the author of MarrowMud Vein  and the Love Me With Lies series.


Never Never is a three part collaborative novella series between Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher. It's a new adult contemporary romantic suspense with elements of paranormal (I think).  While the main characters are still in senior year of high school, it does not read like a Young Adult book.
Like I said, this is a novella trilogy, and the second book came out last Sunday (5/17). The third book does not yet have a release date, but the authors are hopeful to debut it this summer.



Here is Never Never's intriguing (and brief!) description:

"Best friends since they could walk. In love since the age of fourteen. 
Complete strangers since this morning. 
He'll do anything to remember. She'll do anything to forget. "


They definitely don't tell you much with that, huh? The book is so short that I'd almost rather you didn't know more than that, and just went in blind. I did, and I couldn't be happier for it!
For those of you that prefer to be a little more knowledgable, I'll give you the gist and then you can pick it up (because serious, you need to read this).

Never Never follows two 18 year old high school seniors, Silas and Charlie (it's used as a girl's name here). They've been in love since they were kids, and have been dating since they were 14. One day they wake up with no memory of themselves, each other, or their families. Oddly enough, they can remember song lyrics, how to drive, and various things they enjoy doing. 
They both decide to pretend as if all is normal, even as they try desperately to remember. As they learn more about themselves and their lives, some ugly realities start to surface. Major conflict between Charlie and Silas's families have made relationships with their parents extremely strained, Charlie's mother is an alcoholic, they're alienated from their siblings, and it turns out they aren't exactly the golden couple they're made out to be. 

That's really all I can say without giving it away!

Even though Never Never is only around 130 pages, it felt like a full length novel due to the amount of information you learn. Despite that, I never once felt like it was rushed or cramped. The writing flowed beautifully, the pace was fast and engaging, and I was utterly captivated by the characters and their situation. It has a unique and refreshing storyline, and the collaboration was flawless. 
I found myself getting so wrapped up in the characters, and I felt an instant connection with Silas. His point of view was fascinating, and the way he thought about things made me so curious. I liked Charlie as well, though I didn't quite "get" her the way I got Silas. 
I had a new question forming in my head with practically every page turn, and by the end of the book I was buzzing with excitement and anticipation for the second installment. My only complaint is that it ends with a killer cliffhanger, but now that book two is out you don't need to endure the same frustration! 

I just love this cover!



STATS:

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Genre: New adult contemporary romantic suspense, possibly with paranormal elements
Point of View: Alternating 1st person
Steam/Sexual Content: Some hot steam, mild sexual content
HEA: Not sure yet!
Cliffhanger: YES!
Warnings: None aside from the cliffy
Length: Novella/159 (according to Amazon)
Series: Never Never 
Publisher: Hoover Ink



So that's what we have for Never Never! Have you read this book yet? What did you think? 

- The Bibliophile Babe









No comments:

Post a Comment