Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: What Makes The Perfect Book Boyfriend

Hey, ladies! Happy Mardi Gras!



It's time for The Broke and The Bookish's Top Ten Tuesday! This week's theme is a Valentine's Day freebie, so share your romance themed posts and spread the love. ;)


I've chosen my very favorite topic: book boyfriends. Specifically, the characteristics that make me hoard these delightfully amazing men the way a fat kid hoards chocolate. Since there's such a plethora to draw from (confession time: I have an entire book case dedicated to my fictional lovers), I'm going to share my favorite qualities from 10 men in my not-so-little harem. Oh, but this was a fun one....


In no real order, these are my biggest attractions to the book boyfriends:


10. Manners!
Book boyfriends listed:
Jay from Six of Hearts by L.H. Cosway
Adam from the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs
Will from Slammed by Colleen Hoover

I'm not just talking general politeness (though why in the hell is it suddenly sexy for a guy to be a complete dick?), but things more "old fashioned" like: 
Opening and holding doors
Pulling out chairs
The guiding hand at the back thing
Helping put on a coat or jacket 

Most of those just make me melt. It's becoming horrible uncommon, and that's just sad.
However, I do have one of these more gentlemanly qualities I can't stand, which leads me to my #9 swoon.


9. A Dirty Mouth
Book boyfriends listed:
Jack from The Redhead series by Alice Clayton
Till from Fighting Silence by Aly Martinez
Lachlan from The Play by Karina Halle

No, every other word doesn't need to be "fuck", but I damn sure like it when the guy isn't afraid to curse...both out of bed, and in it. ;)
My biggest qualm with Adam, the Mercy Thompson series hero, is his lack of swearing in front of Mercy. Come on, I swear like a sailor. I don't need you censoring. 

8. Protective...and Even a Bit Possessive 
Book boyfriends listed:
Barrons from the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning <3
Fisher from Fisher's Light by Tara Sivec
Jesse from Burying Water by K.A. Tucker

I'm sure some people consider this a crime against feminism as they angrily raise their man hating fingers (has anyone else noticed how feminism is now about hating men rather than equality?) in chastisement of the woman who would dare find this sexy, but fuck it. I have no problem saying I find this incredibly attractive.
The watchful man keeping the woman safe, the fighter who will die to protect her...that's hot. A tiny bit of possessiveness can even be scintillating. Just not the "I will flip out if you so much as talk to another man" a la Beautiful Disaster kind. Or the stuff you in my freezer kind. 


7. A Friend and a Lover
Book boyfriends listed:
Nikolai from Amour Amour by Krista and Becca Ritchie
Leo from Nuts by Alice Clayton
Andrew from The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski

I am a total sucker for couples that were either friends first, or have an amazing friendship woven into their romance. These kinds of relationships always read so much deeper with that level of trust and history. 


6. Educated and Well-spoken
Book boyfriends listed:
Javier from Dirty Angels by Karina Halle
Oliver from King of Hearts by L.H. Cosway
Gideon from the Crossfire series by Sylvia Day (there's so much wrong with this man, but damn!)

I'm not even talking a formal, college education; up to date and insightful on pertinent information works just as well. Bonus points for a reader. And well spoken...god, that's just lovely.

5. Sexual Prowess 
Book boyfriends listed:
King from King by T.M. Frazier
Bones from the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost
Julian from the Markham Hall series (I don't usually understand the BDSM craze, but that man... *fans self*)

This is standard in the book boyfriend, but how could I not mention it? ;)


4. A Sense of Humor!
Book boyfriends listed:
Ronan from The Hooker and the Hermit by L.H. Cosway and Penny Reid
Alex from Pucked by Helena Hunting
Dex from the Experiment in Terror series by Karina Halle

I like to laugh, and I do it all the time. I wish more heroes had a sense of humor and less angst!

3. Tattoos
Book boyfriends listed:
David from Lick by Kylie Scott
River from Chasing River by K.A. Tucker
Reyes from the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones

Not gonna lie, I love that. 

2. Passion for Something Other Than Sex
Book boyfriends listed:
Rule from Rule by Jay Crownover
Ben from November 9 by Colleen Hoover
Curran from the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews


I love seeing a hero that has a love for doing something besides the heroine. Sports, tattooing, writing, business, whatever they fancy. Passion is sexy, in all its forms. 

1. Happiness
Book boyfriends listed:
Ansel from Sweet Filthy Boy by Christina Lauren
Sam from The Fall Up by Aly Martinez 

My favorite thing in a hero? When they can just...be fucking happy. I'm so sick of the angst wallowing men that barely grace you with a smile. Give me happy!



- The Bibliophile Babe





10 comments:

  1. Best TTT ever! Loved this so hard!!
    Manners are huge. I wish there was more of that nowadays - sadly old fashioned manners are hard to find.
    I love a protective man. Not a controlling ape - but one who would do anything for their woman. That's hot! And tattoos - YES. Friends before - YES. And Gideon. He's my absolute favorite. He's so f'ed up but I love him.
    You reminded me that I really need to read Fisher's Light. I STILL haven't read it yet.
    BTW, have you read The Allure of Jilian Lefray? I started it yesterday and it's freaking adorable. Lots of humor, sexy guy, girl who's funny and not annoying. The tension is hot and it's getting really good. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great way tot do this week's top ten!! I agree with them all really but I think #7,6,4 and 1 are super important. Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE these! And have to agree with you on all of them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list. I have to agree with your analysis. I have read and loved many of the books and book boyfriends on your list. For me is sense of humor, intelligence, protective and I adore a nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great! I really like a smart guy - and one that reads is AWESOME. Humor is also really nice. As Heidi said, a nerdy guy is something I'd choose for my own list. :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and no assholes. Tired of assholes. :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! An amazing list with several of my favorite books up there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I especially like characters with manners and a sense of humor and depth and while broody Mr. Darcy might be attractive on film, I wouldn't want to date someone like that in real life! Bring on the happy heroes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list, many books I should read soonish ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, you rocked this list. I do love an old-fashioned guy whose edgy and can make my knees turn to jello!

    ReplyDelete