Monday, March 14, 2016

Let's Discuss: Favorite Format

Hey, ladies!


We all love do read, but do you prefer one format over another?

My preferences have changed hugely over the past six months or so. I used to be a hardcore physical book reader. You couldn't pay me to touch any kind of e-reader. Then I discovered novellas, books that aren't usually released in paperback form. I wound up downloading the Kindle app, "just" for those books I couldn't get in physical form. One thing turned into another (mostly I found out about free ebooks), and I caved and bought a Kindle Paperwhite. Aside from my dogs and my Nikon, it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.
That said, I still read all three!


Paperback


Let's be honest here: there's nothing quite as beautiful as a well stocked bookshelf. The look, feel and smell of real books just can't be beat. I love having shelves on the verge of collapse from just how many books they hold, and a life goal is to have all my favorite books in physical form. "Real books" are extremely satisfying for my more tactile side, and a bookstore is heaven on earth. 

But...they're really expensive. You're stuck reading that one book if you happen to leave with it, and it's incredibly frustrating to loose your page if you accidentally drop it...or if you have dogs or kids, and one of them decides it'd be fun to dive-bomb you. 
Because of all this, paperbacks have become my least used format. I can't swallow the price of them too often!


Kindle/eBook


Nothing but nothing beats the convince of a Kindle. Having hundreds of books at your fingertips is perfect for pretty much all situations. It lets you easily switch back if you read more than one book at once, and it takes up almost no room in your bag. I love being able to share to Goodreads and Facebook, and to buy books right from the device. Adjusting font type and size fixes the problem of most tiny print paperbacks, or those annoyingly large large print physical copies. Not to mention the lower prices for books! The Paperwhite really is just like reading an actual page.

They're a bit impersonal though, and they do require charging. 



Audiobook



An audiobook with a fantastic narrator is my favorite way to read. A narrator that can bring all the emotion and passion into the story and really bring it to life makes the experience almost movie-like. The narrators for Karen Marie Moning's Dreamfever, Shadowfever, Iced and Burned are a truly fantastic pair. Likewise with the narrators for Jeaniene's Frost Night Huntress series or Daryanda Jones' Charely Davidson.
Not to mention listening frees up your hands and allows you to multitask!

On the other hand...a bad narrator can ruin a great book, and they're pricier than most paperbacks if you don't have Audible or utilize Whispersync!


I'll say that audiobooks and paperbacks are my favorite formats, but Kindle is my most utilized. What about you?

- The Bibliophile Babe



11 comments:

  1. I used to be only an ebook type of gal. Then I figured out the library has awesome books so started getting those and omg audios are awesome too <3333

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be anti-Kindle until I had my daughter. In the first 6 months of her life, I wasn't getting any reading done because it was impossible to hold a book and her, or try to multitask holding a physical book. My husband got me my first Kindle (that was over 5 years ago now), and it was love. I became a Kindle lover, and now I have the Paperwhite. It's all I ever read on. You can't beat the convenience, how light it is, and that I can take it everywhere. With my moods, I can read whatever I want and can get it immediately. I love having paperbacks of my favorite books on my shelves, but I much prefer eBooks to read.

    I'm not an audio person right now, but I hope to become one some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be such a technology snob, but lately, I'm liking the convenience of audiobooks better. They are even much handier than ebooks, to be honest. But I like collecting books, so I don't think I'm going to stop buying hardbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't focus on audiobooks. I might have to try another book some day, but for now, I stick to physical books and my Kindle paperwhite. Physical is my favorite because I love the act of holding the book and the SMELL of books, and it's easier to go back and forth and find things as you read. The Kindle paperwhite, as you said, is so handy though. You get good priced books and it makes carrying around a ton of books very simple. :) It's good for travel or when you're out and about and want a book on hand.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree. I rarely read paperback or hardback anymore, mostly I am on my Kindle. I love the convenience and the night light for late reading. I adore a good audiobook as well. Have you tried your library? I get a lot of my audiobooks from my library through Overdrive. It totally saves on cost, and you can download them right to your phone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the formats. I used to not be a huge ebook person either, but blogging changed that and now I almost prefer them in that form just for the convenience of storage. I cannot surpass the ability to lend or give a read book in a physical format though. I have gotten to love audios now that I craft with a book going. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I approach *cough* 50 my reading preferences have changed due because of my eyes. I need glasses for small print...thus paperbacks are my enemy and make me feel old. Reading for hours with my sexy librarian glasses is not comfortable when I can grab a hardcover or my e-Reader which allows me to set the font size :) Audiobooks have allowed me to read 24-7 since I can listen while doing chores.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in love with my Kindle Paperwhite -- it's the only way I can read that won't bother my eyes and bring on my migraines. I keep trying to listen to audiobooks, but I struggle with them. I'm not giving up, though ;) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At one time I thought I'd never ever own an e-reader and was a print reader all the way. I loved hardcovers the most but also treasured my paperbacks. Then I started reading e-ARCs on my computer and downloaded a few e-books on my phone when I couldn't find the books at the bookstore (and couldn't wait to get them in the mail). Now I am glad I have a Kindle to read on. I started having wrist pain in 2012 and it makes it harder to read heavier hardcover books for long periods of time especially. My Kindle is so much easier to read on! I still appreciate print books but I don't buy them very often. I also love listening to audio books on my phone through Overdrive or Audible but it depends on the narrator. My favorite current method of reading is my Kindle I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great topic.

    I'm an audio first reader. If the book is available on audio and the narrator isn't horrible, I'll always choose the audio. If the narrator is good or great, then I will wait until the end of time for that version of the book. I like how the narrator adds to the story. I also like the ability to multi-task.

    I was like you and very hesitant to move to ebooks. I read with an app on my phone with books that were not available in paperback from indie authors or were really expensive paperbacks, but paperbacks were still my choice. I finally broke down and got my paperwhite and now I don't leave home without it. I love that I can read in bed with the lights off. I love when I'm reading a large book and my kindle doesn't weigh a ton. I also love when I travel and I can take so many books with me.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  11. My main go-to is still my e-reader. Next is my phone for audio. I absolutely love the professional narration books Amazon has on some books so I can go back and forth between my audio and e-book. That was a major selling point for audios with me.

    ReplyDelete